Friday, March 27, 2009

He Died With A Felafel In His Hand

I've just returned home from the opening night of "He Died With A Felafel In His Hand" at the Brisbane Arts Theatre. Having never read the book, nor seen the movie, I only had a mild idea of what the play was about: a guy who lived in various share-houses and the stories of his experiences. The 'guy' was the author himself, John Birmingham.
I can't personally relate to John's share-house experiences - but I know people who can - and you well may be one finding yourself relating to such experiences.
The Brisbane Arts Theatre's production was extremely well-received. Natalie Bochenski has exceeded expections as the Director, overseeing a fantastic cast and crew to bring to life Simon Bedak's adaptation of John Birmingham's 1994 classic novel.
Each of the twelve cast members gave such outstanding performances in their (sometimes various) characters, that it seems unfair to single out anyone. It also would give away too much to actually review the show itself, so I won't. But I can tell you this - whether they are tears of joy or tears of sad recognition - you'll die laughing!

"He Died With A Felafel in his Hand" playing Fri & Sat nights at Brisbane Arts Theatre until 02 May, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I was walking past the theatre the other day and saw a poster for that, I'm thinking about going, definitely recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sweetpea,

    Thank you so much for coming along to see the show - I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    I'm only sorry I didn't get to chat to you personally. If you come back, do ask for me, I plan on being at most shows. It'd be nice to meet you!

    Cheers, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete